Tuesday, August 10, 2004

My thoughts on The Future of Work (by Thomas W. Malone)

I was browing through the website and came across the review of this book."My thoughts on The Future of Work " seems to be an interesting book.This book reminds me of Maverick by Ricardo Semler.The most interesting aspect of the book is the example given.Looks like there is a company named AES corporation.They are one of the biggest energy producers and are highly decentralised. Rank and file employees decide about multi-million dollar acquisitions and a group of workers invested 12 million of cash that the company had after getting some training on money markets from a consultant, even beating the internal department that does nothing else.

Malone argues that "When most people think about decentralization, they stop at loose hierarchies {...} decentralization as delegation of many decisions {...}. What if, instead, it [power] originated there [lower levels]?" This sounds a bit weird, but if you really think about it, this is a totally different mind set.

Doesn't this sound interesting???

There are many such examples given and the review seems to be even more interesting.

I'm planning to get a copy for myself.

2 Comments:

Blogger Lg said...

"I'm planning to get a copy for myself." -- make that two of us :)

9:09 PM  
Blogger Sriram said...

Raji, orey' the-hi-fi ;) onum purila unoda english enaku ...

10:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home